Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Can we restore SQL Server 2008 database to SQL Server 2005?

No we can't restore it. SQL Server is not allowing the restore of higher version databases to a lower version. It is not possible to restore a database from a backup of a newer version to older version as database backups are not backward compatible.

You can do below workaround to transfer higher version database to lower version.

1. Generate database script. Right Click database -> Tasks -> Generate Scripts



2. Execute the script on the lower version server and it will create the database and its objects

3. Transfer data between these two databases using DTS/SSIS

1 comment:

  1. SQL Server 2008 TrainingFebruary 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM

    Hello

    Your website came up in Hello

    Your website came up in my search and I'm taken by what you have composed on this topic. I am presently diversifying my research and thus cannot contribute further; even so, I've bookmarked your web site and will be returning to keep up with any future updates. Just Now love it and thanks for granting my remark. Great job and will extend it on to admirers and my web site fans.my search and I'm taken by what you have composed on this topic. I am presently diversifying my research and thus cannot contribute further; even so, I've bookmarked your web site and will be returning to keep up with any future updates. Just Now love it and thanks for granting my remark. Great job and will extend it on to admirers and my web site fans.

    ReplyDelete